Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The weird thing about that Brazilian bloke the cops shot on the tube...


July 22 is the day after my birthday. Last year I woke up with a terrible hangover, and as I'd already handed in my notice I wasn't in any mood to make a great effort to get to work.
Instead, I sat in front of the telly with Sky News on, playing poker on my laptop.
A much better day's work.
Things were still a bit jittery after the attacks on July 7 and attempted attacks on the 21, which had kind of put a damper on my birthday drinks the night before. It was about 11am,July 22, when news that a man had been shot by British police at Stockwell station. The reports were in a terrorist context, such was the nervousness of London back then.
Sky News being what it is, they already had someone at the scene collecting eye witness accounts, and I swear, I swear I can remember someone being interviewed who was on the carriage that electrician Jean Charles de Menezes had joined, when he was then shot by the police.
The eye witness was in a fair bit of shock, but said that police had boarded the carriage at speed, closed in on Mr Menezes with more than one gun drawn, and then shot him four or five times from close range. They said he had no backpack or bulky jacket.
It was odd because I never saw that clip again. The police let the rumour of him being a terrorist run and run, and we kind of all felt relieved as if they'd got someone with a tube bomb again.
But then, gradually, as the family of Jean Charles continued to press that there was no way Jean Charles could be a terrorist, the truth came out.
I'm not trying to make a big point about his death. I don't like armed police, I hate being greeted by them at stations these days, but if I was an armed policeman on that day, I think it must have been really difficult.
It's just that interview.
I always wondered where it went. Why didn't this fresh eye witness interview set the news agenda as to what had happened that day?
How did the police story, about him jumping the barrier, having a bulky jacket (both lies), and him running from them up the platform (at best he ran to an empty carriage), how did that story become the truth so quickly?
The truth is still what the Brazillian President wants from Tony Blair in his three-day visit to Britain this week.
The truth shows Jean Charles was just an ordinary bloke, even if as a Brazillian he was just a shade too dark for the officers to keep their cool.
But that eyewitness. Where did they go? It's really odd.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It became truth so easily because people believe what they need to believe.

Just like millions of Americans still believe 2 airplanes crashing into buildings able to withstand such an impact (far longer than they did) would take a building out level by level by level.

Who knew crashing a plane into a skyscraper would look exactly the same as planned demolition? Amazing.

And, funnily enough, the initial eyewitness reports from inside (by firemen with decades of experience) stating it was a FACT that bombs had taken each floor out one by one - these interviews went underground as quickly as they'd surfaced.

People ate it up because they needed to. Hell, it only took 4 fucking years before people got the balls up to even question it.

And I can tell you, Americans weren't very nice to those of us who started asking on the 12th.

June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"THEY ARE PISSING IN OUR BOOTS AND TELLING US IT'S RAINING" 

-------MY COPY IS YOUR RIGHT E.R. 2006------- 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.