Wednesday, June 14, 2006

HERO OR VILLAIN?


Until the age of 30 I hated cats. As a child our family had a cat, Jerry, but my dad ran him over pulling the car into the drive one day and grandad had to bury him in the garden.
After a spell of no cats, I always found it difficult to get attached to the buggers, moody, self-pleasing, and nowhere near as much fun as a dog.
But the cats I didn't like were cats I didn't really know.
Over the past ten years I have shared houses with two people that own cats, and both of the felines help me understand that cats don't love you, you have to love them. I like them now.
Anyway, I'm off subject.
This cat is Tee Cee. Interesting not only because he shares my initials, but because he is one of four cats nominated for "Hero Cat of the Year".
Apparently, Tee Cee can predict the complex epileptic fits of owner Michael Edmonds. When Tee Cee gets close and stares at Michael, a fit is on its way:
"We noticed that Tee Cee began staring at my step-father prior to a seizure and then ran to my mother to let her know all is not well, acting as an early warning system," says Michael's step-daughter Samantha Laidler, who nominated the cat for the award.
"Once assistance arrives," she added, "Tee Cee doesn't leave Michael's side until he regains consciousness and his warnings have proved invaluable to the family."
Now this is all very well, and obviously Tee Cee, who was dumped in a river as a kitten and then rescued, is seen as a real hero in Sheffield where he lives.
But let's just ponder this.
What if Michael is actually cured somehow of his terrible fits, and it's Tee Cee's evil stare that sets them off?

7 Comments:

Blogger me said...

i am going with the staring business. all cats are EVIL!
he probably stays until the old guy comes round, just so its the first thing he sees. its mocking him, as well as trying to kill him. thats it! he hangs round to see if hes completed his task. evil.

June 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cats r gods

June 14, 2006  
Blogger ldbug said...

interesting thought! Cat's can stare pretty intensely...

I've come to the conclusion that my cat thinks he's a dog, he drinks from the toilet, fetches, and likes water..strange but very cute:)

June 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tsk. Lovely story up until the end, mate.

June 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe your theory is entirely possible based on the fact that cats are highly intelligent, dubious creatures who are plotting to take over the world. A dog will love you unconditionally but a cat will make you earn its love and/or respect and may even look down on you if you try too hard. Likewise, if a cat has decided that it doesn't like you, things can take an interesting turn of events... I had a cat who couldn't stand my ex-boyfriend; she was sweat as could be with me and as soon as he fell asleep she would swat at his face or pee on his clothes. Now I can admit that she was smarter than I was...

June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Tee Cee could stare at ER and and predict when we'll next hear from the World Cup Ranter???

June 15, 2006  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Cats rock. Dogs are cool, too. But cats rock.

June 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"THEY ARE PISSING IN OUR BOOTS AND TELLING US IT'S RAINING" 

-------MY COPY IS YOUR RIGHT E.R. 2006------- 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.