Sunday, August 27, 2006

POPE TELLS AMERICANS: "TOO MUCH WORK MAKES YOU STUPID"

Admittedly a bit rich coming from a man that gets carried around in a chair, but nonetheless advice that the yanks continue to ignore. Pope Benedict told tourists in Rome last week that working too hard leads to a "hardening of the heart" and "suffering of the spirit" as well as a "loss of intelligence".
Meanwhile a survey shows that a record 40% of American workers have no plans to take any holiday in the next six months - more than any time since the 1970s. Unlike almost all other industrialised nations, American employers do not have to give paid holidays.
The average American, including public holidays (which they have plenty) takes less than 4 weeks holiday a year, compared with 6.6 in the UK and 7.9 in Italy. Plus more Americans than ever dont even take their holidays when they are given them, with a total of 574 million holiday days (about 4 each) going unclaimed.
Now that is stupid.

8 Comments:

Blogger ldbug said...

Ooo, I could soooo go for more vacation time! I'm one of those Americans that advocates introducing the siesta into our daily routines:-)

August 27, 2006  
Blogger tideliar said...

Fucking nightmare mate. I had to beg for my vacation. Bastard gave me three fucking days, but let me have the weekend too. I bitched about it and he came back with "Well, I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.". ? WTF? Twat.

August 28, 2006  
Blogger me said...

i hereeby volounteer to have thier holidays for em, it will be tough, but i will give it my best shot!

August 28, 2006  
Blogger ldbug said...

Tell your boss, Tidy - "huh, no vacation in 5 yrs? Explains a lot....."

August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you're 40 now. Happy Birthday.

If I may: "most" Americans is a bit exaggerated, methinks. That's more like "most white collar" employees get time off.

And those who do but don't take it - are either carrying it over to the next year, or cahsing it out.

Neither of which sounds stupid to me.

August 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cashing, even.

August 29, 2006  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

very

August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked for a cunt who took out of our holiday entitlement all the bank holidays - he said we were lucky to get 10 days paid annual leave! - then proceeded to go on a World cruise for 5 weeks - fucking idiot - we had a better holiday in his 5 weeks than he did!
Cunt!

November 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"THEY ARE PISSING IN OUR BOOTS AND TELLING US IT'S RAINING" 

-------MY COPY IS YOUR RIGHT E.R. 2006------- 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.