Unlucky for some. 13 Things About Mohamed Abdel Moneim Fayed
2. He sold cans Coca Cola and later sewing machines on the streets of Egypt when he was young.
3. He married into money and earnt his cash by arms dealing for his brother in law. He imported arms into Saudi Arabia, the home of Al-Queda.
4. He set up a shipping company and became the financial consultant to the Sultan of Bruneii.
5. He bought the Ritz hotel in the 70s, and with his brother, Harrods, in the 80s. He has never been given a British passport, despite wanting one for 30 years.
6. After buying Harrods he was accused of stealing jewels from Tiny Roland's own safety deposit box at the store. Roland was the head of mining giants Lonro and former associate of Fayed. Roland was furious the Fayeds had beaten him to the purchase of Harrods, and accused its new owners of stealing the jewels.
Fayed lost his appeal for wrongful arrest for his part in the loss of the jewels, and after Roland's death he made a private settlement for their loss with Lonro's widow. The jewels were worth millions.
7. It was Fayed that offered money and gifts in kind to Neil Hamilton and Jonathan Aitken in the 'cash for questions' dirt of the Conservative government. He smoozed the most unpleasant Conservative politicians in the hope of a UK passport coming his way.
8. His son, Dodi, was a cocaine snorting 'film producer' that wanted to marry Princess Di, but died when neither he or his girlfriend were wearing seat-belts and their car crashed doing three times the speed limit on a Paris street while its driver was on drugs.
9. He has accused the royal family and MI5 of conspiring to kill them both.
10. He owns Fulham Football Club
11. In 2003 he moved to Switzerland after a dispute about how much income tax he should pay in the UK.
12. Last year a newspaper reported he had now moved to tax-free Monaco.
13. Today, Mohamed Abdel Moneim Fayed announced he wants to be Mayor of London.