Thursday, May 18, 2006

PEOPLE YOU WOULDN'T THINK I'VE MET BUT I HAVE#12: THE CAST OF BEVERLY HILLS 90210


It was a sad, sad, day back in 1992. Just ask the owner of the small car parked outside the photo shoot.
The six cast members that were there were: Jason Priestly, Jenny Garth, Shannen Doherty, Gabrielle Carteris, Brian Austin Green and Ian Ziering.
Despite the prospect of meeting the rather pretty Shannen Doherty and Jenny Garth, there wasn't much enthusiasm at the magazine I worked for to go and meet them. As I was the new boy, I got the job.
90210 had already been a massive hit in the States, and was about to start its run on TV in the UK. To promote it, the cast had been flown over for interviews, and I met them at a photo studio in west London.
At first things looked promising.
When I walked into the studio, a few bottles of beer had been opened, and a bottle of wine, and I figured this would mean they were at least up for a chat. But a sigh and a look from the photographer told me that maybe things weren't going well.
I remember the interviews roughly like this:
Ian Ziering: A bit macho, defensive, smug, bright, but willing to give it a go. A little too old-looking for the job.
Jenny Garth: Twee and girly to the point of puking, but nice enough.
Shannen Doherty: Sighing, rolling of eyes, swinging of legs while sitting on a desk, bored, awkward, impatient. The kind of girl I used to like back then. A bloody disaster.
Brian Austin Green: Nice enough - like a bright-eyed puppy, willing to please.
Gabrielle Carteris: Prettier than I had thought, and by far the nicest and brightest of the bunch.
Jason Priestly: Intense, chatty, but again very macho, loud and brash in a bad American way.
Anyway, some of them were playing up, but they were kids, basically. And even worse they were actors, so I expected it. I didn't mind, I only had to get a couple of hundred printable words out of each of them, not their fucking life story.
As the day went on, some of them were starting to get drunk. Brian Austin Green was lying upside down on a sofa trying to drink beer and spilling it down his face, while Shannen Doherty played with his navel.
As I left, Jason Priestley was forcing open the window of the photo studio.
He got his cock out, and pissed from three floors up on the mini parked below.
Pic left to right (back row): Ian Ziering, Gabrielle Carteris, Luke Perry, Jenny Garth
front row: Jason Priestley, Shannen Doherty, Tori Spelling, Brian Austin Green.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anon said...

I met them too.
years ago.

May 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you have had to meet people like this. I must take its toll on you.

Have you met anybody that was actually worth interviewing? I bet Charles Bukowski would have been an interesting one to meet.

May 18, 2006  
Blogger A new Ron,ron,ron a new ron,ron said...

Did you remember to pronounce Ian as "eye-an"? it pisses him off to be called Ian, apparently.Twat.

May 19, 2006  
Blogger me said...

oh memories of the precocious little darlings. where are they now?
mostly in rehab i would imagine!
bunch of no mark twats!

May 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew a kid whos parents pronounced his name as eye-an, but they were from the south, mom was from georgia and dad was from mexico

May 19, 2006  
Blogger A new Ron,ron,ron a new ron,ron said...

Did he correct every European who "mis"-pronounced it? The Ziering fela does apparently, or was I dreaming...

May 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he didnt bcos he was a baby but tha mom did

May 19, 2006  
Blogger ENGLISH RANTER said...

I'd forgotten the I-an thing! What a twat. Yes, he corrected everyone, all the time. Unfortunately RD, I never got the chance to interview Bukowsky. In fact my literary exploits only extend to trying to chat up Seamus Heaney's daughter at a mate's birthday party last year - and failing badly.

May 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"THEY ARE PISSING IN OUR BOOTS AND TELLING US IT'S RAINING" 

-------MY COPY IS YOUR RIGHT E.R. 2006------- 

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.